Saturday 1 June 2013

Something for the summer – key lime pie


This is quite a rich, quick, no cook pie, brilliantly offset by the bitter lime juice. There are a couple of things I’d change for next time, so read until the end! If you happen to have the ingredients lying around, it is the type of thing you could knock up if you were having some impromptu guests or if by some miracle, summer arrives. It is very rich, so you will get 10 portions out of it.

Key lime pie: yummy, heavy on the calories and could be greener
Take 375g biscuits (I used ginger nuts) and crush them in either a food processor or in a bag with a rolling pin.

Melt 150g of butter in a pot and mix the crushed biscuits through it. Squash this into a loose-bottomed 23cm cake tin and put it in the fridge while you get on with the filling.

Zest and juice 8 limes – I got about 350ml of juice from the ones I used. In a large bowl, mix 570ml of full fat cream and a 397g tin of condensed milk. Whisk these together with the lime juice for a couple of minutes and pour it on top of your biscuit base. Chill this for a couple of hours.

Next time: I made this in individual ramekins as I was a bit terrified of getting the cake out of the tin, even if it’s loose bottomed. I thought the buttery biscuits were a bit of an overkill, so I’d make the filling and serve it with the crushed biscuits sprinkled over it or, as I’d used individual dishes, put the un-buttery biscuits in the base, as they will absorb some of the liquid from the filling and the crumbs will stick to it. Or don’t crush the biscuits, and serve a couple of whole biscuits with the filling for people to dip or spread as they like. Finally, the filling’s colour was off-white, which was lovely, but I’d think about adding a drop or two of green food colouring just to pep it up a bit.

I should add that this recipe is from the BBC food website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment