Wednesday 29 May 2013

‘Best’ fishcakes


I’m trying to eat more fish. I usually don’t do much with it – an oven-proof dish, olive oil, lemon juice, sprinkling of herbs and spices and then roast. For something different, I’ve tried various fish cakes over the past few years but I’ve never really liked them (tasteless, too potato-y, disappointing...).

Step up delicious magazine’s May 2013 recipe, and they are the best I’ve ever tasted (could these be ‘the best fishcakes’ ever?????).

You’ll need:
500g of white fish fillets, I used some good-value cod from my local fish counter
2 teaspoons of salt
4 teaspoons of chopped, fresh lemon thyme or dill (I had none, so I used a teaspoon of dried thyme)
100ml light cream
100ml sparkling water (the fishcakes were a little too wet, so I’d try 100ml of liquid altogether, so 50ml each of cream and sparkling water)
40g plain flour
½ an onion
1 egg

oil, for frying
The nicest fishcakes I've ever made? 

There is a delicious remoulade sauce with the fishcakes, so mix 150g crème fraiche (or fromage frais or plain yogurt), 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of mild mustard, 1 teaspoon of finely chopped rinsed capers and 2 tablespoons of finely chopped gherkins. Add a little salt and pepper.

Chop the fish up into manageable pieces and pop it into a food processor with the salt, herbs, onion and some pepper. Blend it for a minute until the fish is broken up but still chunky. Add the liquids (that includes the egg) and the flour and blitz it all again until its all blended.

Transfer it all to a bowl and put this in the fridge for about 10-15 minutes. I was in a bit of a hurry at this stage and so I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes.

Your mixture should be solid enough to handle, so shape it into 12 patties. Heat a frying pan and a little oil and cook the fishcakes for about 2-3 minutes on each side. As I mentioned, mine were quite liquid, so I dropped spoonfuls on the pan.

You can serve the fishcakes with some boiled potatoes and vegetables or a salad. The leftovers reheated very well the next day

No comments:

Post a Comment