Monday 6 June 2011

Super low-fat Asian chicken noodle soup

Good day to you all,
Postings have been scant of recent, due to many factors. One of which is that we are on a bit of a health kick here and over the past few weeks, I have been cooking mainly my super low fat yet very substantial chicken soup.

This chicken soup is very versatile. The basic recipe for 2 is :
900ml water
2 stock cubes
Salt and pepper
Ginger (fresh is best, ground is ok)
1 chicken breast
75g noodles
Fresh coriander
Spring onions

Poach the chicken in the stock for about 10 minutes. Once it is almost cooked, take it out and slice it thinly. Add the noodles and the chicken to the stock for a last minute. Ladle into bowls and top with the herbs.

All of the above sounds a little bland. To make it more interesting, I add some or most of the following:
Whatever Asian spices I have in the cupboard – star anise, chilli, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, paprika (not essentially Asian, but…), fish sauce, hoi sin sauce or any other Asian pastes I have lying around.
I also bulk it up with whatever vegetables I have in the house – broccoli, Chinese cabbage (Delhaize now stock this), beans, baby corn, mushrooms.
I sometimes substitute the chicken for some prawns. The soup is extremely low in fat but really high in taste and variety.

We top off all of the soup with some chewy oatmeal cookies (all those yummy oats are very healthy – just ignore all the sugar and butter…) or some really low fat muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment