Friday 15 August 2014

Chicken gyros


I got this recipe from Cooking Classy. It was really, really good, and very garlicky. Extra yum!
You can of course use bought flat bread, but I decided to try making my own. I also decided to try using cup measurements instead of converting the ingredients to grams. I used an IKEA coffee cup to measure out.
Chicken gyros


Flat bread
A cube of fresh yeast
2/3 cup of warm water
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons of milk
1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3 cups bread flour

Put everything into a bowl and mix them together with the hook attachment, if you have one. If you don’t, use your hands and knead the whole lot. You should keep going for about 5 minutes until the dough is elastic. If the dough is sticky and not forming a ball, add a little more flour.
Cover the dough with a damp towel and allow it to rest in a warm place until double in size, which should take about an hour and a half.
When the dough has proved, knock it back and divide it into 6-8 portions. Work the balls into circles on a floured surface and cook in a hot dry frying pan (so, no oil). I found that the bread shrank a lot on the pan, so I kept an eye on them, and kept them pressed down with a fish slice. When the underside is cooked – this should take about 3 minutes – flip them over and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
Flat bread cooking
These are best served immediately, with the chicken, a salad and some tzatziki.

Garlicky chicken
For 2-3 people:
2 chicken breasts, sliced finely
a few crushed cloves of garlic
the juice of a lemon
a dribble of olive oil
3 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)

Mix all of these together and leave them to marinade in the fridge for as long as you can. I used a large grill-proof dish, so that the chicken could lie in a single layer. When you’re ready to cook, take them out of the fridge and bring them to room temperature for a bit before grilling the whole lot for a few minutes. Stir the whole lot and grill them again until they are fully cooked.
Grilled chicken pieces to go into the gyros


Tzatziki
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
1 crushed clove garlic, or more if you like it garlicky
salt and pepper to taste

Tzatziki traditionally contains dill, but I’ve so far never managed to grow this, and I don’t ever use a whole packet or plant before it dies, so I only buy these when I know I’m going to use it all, so I don’t always use dill.


Put the grated cucumber in a sieve over a sink and let it drain – give it a squash with the back of a large spoon to encourage the water to drain out. If I’m rushed, I’ve been known to pat at it with paper towels. When you’re ready to make it, combine all the ingredients and enjoy!
Tzatziki

No comments:

Post a Comment