Thursday 5 April 2012

Easter = chocolate


This weekend is Easter (yay!). We’ll be having the in-laws over and I’m going to make some brownies for dessert, although I fear my heart might seize up just making these from the MSF cookbook, via Domini Kemp in The Irish Times.
I’ll post photos if I survive. Happy Easter everyone!

300g dark chocolate (70 per cent)
400g butter
4 tsp vanilla extract
7 eggs
500g caster sugar
70g crème fraiche
160g flour
35g cocoa
Pinch salt
2 tsp instant coffee
A few tbsp granulated sugar

Preheat an oven to 160 degrees. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over simmering water. Whisk together the vanilla, eggs, sugar and crème fraiche, then add the melted butter and chocolate.
Sieve the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and fold them in. Do everything lightly. Pour the mixture into a lined tray. Sprinkle the granulated sugar lightly over the top.
Bake for about 30 minutes. They are done when a toothpick comes out dirty, but not liquidey. Allow them to cool, then serve or freeze.
Chocolate brownie, with ice cream and whipped cream




Update 08.04.2012: the photos are still in the camera, but I can say that 1) I survived the cooking experience of all these calories in the kitchen; and 2) I caved when adding the sugar, and added only ("only") 300g and increased the flour up to 200g. I also ended up cooking them for almost two hours, covered with tinfoil, and upping the oven to 190° for the last 45 minutes. Next time, I'd also add less butter. Way less - as in, I'd stop at 250g. They are very heavy. I certainly couldn't eat more than one, and even that one will keep me going for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment