Sunday 8 January 2012

My goose is cooked!


We had some friends over for dinner this week, and decided to try my hand at cooking goose. I got the bird from those lovely guys at Jack O’Sheas, and the very nice gentleman who served me cleaned the bird out for me (thank G, otherwise we would have been sitting down to take out pizza… no way on this earth I was putting my hands inside that thing!).

I used a recipe from The Irish Times, my first attempt at a Domini Kemp recipe, and it was delicious. I would definitely do it again. I’ve been reading her recipes for a good while and I’ve wanted to try them. I’ll be making more from her in the future.

The goose recipe is here.

Some things I should say: the nice gentleman in the butchers also removed the layer of fat between the skin and the meat. Nonetheless, the amount of fat that came off the bird during the cooking was impressive. I reckon I got about a litre of fat in all. Also, it redecorated the inside of the oven – again, thank G for self-cleaning ovens.

I’d love to be able to show you photos of the goose, but by this stage of the evening we had already consumed a couple of glasses of vino and Champagne (it was New Years eve),  and serving up was already a challenge. Sorry folks, but please use your imagination – it looked like a photo you see in a glossy cooking magazine – perfectly golden and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment