Saturday 5 March 2011

Pan-fried fish

ok, ok, I've been a bit remiss on filling in my blog recently. Part of this is due to not taking photos of my food. My new month resolution is to take more photos of my food.


Last night I made a super low-fat pan-fried fish. I don't have any other name for it. Its a 365things original dish. Maybe.


For two people, you'll need:
120g white fish per person - I use monkfish or pangasius (catfish)
150g potatoes per person (or less potato and more root veg)
1 pepper (any colour)
2 large tomatoes or several smaller ones
1 onion
salt n pepper
various herbs


Peel and cut the potatoes (and the other veg if you're using) into pieces. Boil in some water for about 20 mins until soft. Drain and add about 50ml milk and 10g butter and mash until smooth.


While your potatoes are cooking, chop the onion into 8ths, the pepper into strips and the tomatoes into chunks. Cook these in a frying pan (I do this without oil) in a bit of water. Add whatever herbs and spices you like, and a little salt and pepper. These should take about 15 minutes to become soft and cooked through.


When your veg are all cooked, remove them from the pan and add your fish. Cook for about 4 minutes on the first side and about 3 on the other. Fish varies in thickness so use your judgement - it's cooked when it becomes opaque.


To plate up, put some of the vegetable mixture on first and the fish on top. The mash can be served on the side. Or, if you're otherwise inclined, pop the fish onto the mash and serve the vegetables on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment